|Vegan peanut butter flapjacks, as made by EJ|
I'm not sure I can actually make a batch of flapjacks without adding a dollop of peanut butter, the richness and saltiness complements the golden syrup and takes the edge off the sweetness; it just transforms them into something else.
Makes approximately 8 flapjacks
100g vegan sunflower spread
75g soft light brown sugar
2.5tbs golden syrup
200g jumbo oats
25g sunflower and pumpkin seeds (mixed)
2 level tbs salted crunchy peanut butter
1) Line and lightly oil a 20cm square baking tin. Pre-heat the oven to 160C (fan)
2) Melt the vegan sunflower spread over a low heat until completely liquid but not hot, remove from the heat.
3) Add the soft light brown sugar and golden syrup and stir until dissolved into the melted sunflower spread.
4) Tip in the oats and stir until they're completely coated. Add the sultanas, cranberries and seeds.
5) Add the peanut butter and thoroughly stir through.
6) Spoon the flapjack mixture into the prepared tin, pressing down with the back of a metal spoon to create an even surface.
7) Bake at 160C for 25 minutes, until just turning golden at the edges.
8) Leave to cool in the tin, before lifting the slab of flapjack out and cutting into slices with a sharp knife. Store in a well sealed tupperware container until you're ready to enjoy them.