|Vampire fangs cupcake, as made by EJ|
The first of the Halloween cupcake tutorials is here! Perhaps my favourite of the bunch (although I'm still on the fence about this), I've put together a tutorial to show you how to make the cupcake that bites back - otherwise known as the vampire cupcake! If you like, you can use the delicious vanilla cupcake recipe I uploaded to the original Halloween overview (along with a vanilla buttercream recipe too).
To decorate the cupcakes you will need:
- Red sugar paste (the one I used for the tutorial is a slightly brighter shade than the original cupcake - above)
- Black sugar paste
- White sugar paste
- A little cornflour (to dust your work surface)
- Red gel food colouring
- A small amount of buttercream, or fairy cake icing (icing sugar mixed with a few drops of water) to secure the sugar paste to the top of the cupcake
- A rolling pin & board
- A 7cm round cutter (this should match the diameter of the top of your cupcakes)
- An 8cm round cutter
- A small sharp knife
- Cocktail sticks
- Sterile cotton buds
- A food-safe paintbrush
|Click on image above for a larger view of the step-by-step process|
1) Dust your board with a little cornflour and roll out the red sugar paste to a thickness of approximately 3mm, cut out a circle using the 8cm round cutter.
2) Using a sharp knife, cut the circle in half horizontally.
3) Cut a small triangular notch out of the top of one of the semi-circles.
4) Use the 8cm round cutter to cut the same semi-circle into the shape of the top lip (the edges should taper in a little).
5) Use the 8cm round cutter to cut out the bottom lip from the other semi-circle.
6) Trim approximately 3mm off the end of each lip - set these to one side.
7) Roll out the black sugar paste to a thickness of approximately 3mm, cut out a circle using the 7cm round cutter.
8) Arrange the lips on top of the black circle and use your fingers and a cotton bud to gently shape them together and to remove any rough edges.
9) Press the edge of a cocktail stick gently against the surface of the lips to apply texture.
10) By hand, roll two balls of white sugar paste (approximately 1cm width each).
11) Shape the balls into cones.
12) Flatten the cones slightly and smooth the edges into fang shapes.
13) Smooth out the sides of the fangs and using the sharp knife, slice each one diagonally at the top so that they taper downwards on the outer-edge.
14) Arrange the fangs beneath the top lip and smooth into place using a cotton bud.
15) Paint a little red gel food colouring onto the tip of each fang using the food safe paintbrush.
16) Spread a little buttercream or fairy-cake icing on top of a cupcake and gently place the completed vampire motif on top.
Repeat this process for each cupcake and treat your friends to something special this Halloween :)
Check back in for the remaining five tutorials over the next 10 days!