|Spooky Halloween cupcakes, as baked by EJ|
|Spooky Halloween cupcakes, from the top|
Pumpkin patch cupcake
Skull & snake cupcake
The recipe makes six vanilla cupcakes - and the quantity of buttercream is enough for six of any of the designs- and plenty if you choose to do one of each (as above).
For the cupcakes:
120g caster sugar
120g self raising flour
40ml rapeseed oil
1 egg (separated)
1tsp vanilla extract
To make the cakes:
1) Pre-heat the oven to 170C (fan), line a cupcake tin with six paper cases.
2) Separate the egg, using an electric mixer whip the egg white until it forms soft peaks.
3) Pour the sugar into the egg white while whisking on a slow setting.
4) Add the egg yolk, rapeseed oil, milk and vanilla extract and continue to mix very gently.
5) Sift in the self raising flour and fold into a smooth batter.
6) Spoon the mixture into the six cupcake cases (there should be approximately 5mm space at the top of each case).
7) Bake in the middle of the oven for 25-30 minutes. Check if the cakes are done by gently pressing down on the top with your index finger, if the sponge springs back they are ready.
To make the buttercream:
200g butter (softened at room temperature)
500g icing sugar (sifted)
1tbs vanilla extract
For the buttercream:
1) Using an electric mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy.
2) One tablespoon at a time, gradually add the sifted icing sugar - mixing on a low setting to combine.
3) One teaspoon at a time, pour in the water and vanilla extract, keep mixing until you reach a smooth piping consistency.
4) The buttercream can be kept refrigerated in a sealed container for one week before use, or you can freeze for up to a month.
Stay tuned for the first tutorial :)